EMC contracted with the R. A. Downes General Agency in Philadelphia to represent the company in Pennsylvania and Maryland in 1939. Seven years later, EMC purchased the agency’s business relationships as the base for starting a branch office to serve Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey. The Philadelphia Branch Office was opened by future EMC President Robb B. Kelley in one room on the sixth floor of a city center building in 1946.
In the late 1960s, the branch introduced some exciting new programs:
The Philadelphia Branch moved from downtown to the suburbs on a 2.25-acre plot near Valley Forge National Park in King of Prussia in 1971. The building’s completion coincided with the branch’s 25th anniversary, and both were celebrated with an open house in September. That same year, Virginia and the District of Columbia were added to the branch territory. The Philadelphia Branch was renamed the Valley Forge Branch in 1984.
Over the next 20 years, the branch shifted from writing personal lines to commercial. Safety group programs were developed for municipal markets, manufactured housing, auto service providers, and Pennsylvania moving and storage in the ’90s.
In 2001, the office merged with Charlotte Branch and became the Valley Forge Service Office, to take advantage of economies of scale and combine the strong features of both branches.