1958: Expansion into Arizona
In 1958, John Kerper opened an EMC office in Phoenix with the intention of writing mainly personal lines. Bob Camp was the office’s first agent, and a claims manager and a field supervisor position were added in 1962. In 1963, the service office was officially recognized as the Phoenix Branch.
1978: Phoenix Branch Grows from Within
As the business grew, additional staff was required to tend to the Phoenix Branch’s growing customer base. In 1978, Kent Kochheiser was brought on board as the first special risk supervisor, and was succeeded in 1981 by Paul Stein. Later, Stein became the branch’s first full-time risk improvement representative, and Kochheiser went on to become a branch manager.
1980-2003: Phoenix Takes on More Territories
The 1987 EMC board meeting was held in Phoenix in order to applaud the branch reaching $10 million in written premium. The 1980s brought expansion for the Phoenix Branch, as it extended its reach to serve Nevada and New Mexico. In 2003, the Irvine Branch was converted to a service office under the Phoenix Branch.
The Phoenix Branch now serves territories in Arizona, California, Nevada and New Mexico, and has 78 employees and 203 agencies. The branch writes more than $55 million in premium, of which 94 percent is commercial lines and 4 percent is personal lines.